Friday, September 9, 2011

Dropper!?!?!

I have been testing a new technique that I read about on the NGTO (North Georgia Trout Online). It is called a dropper rig. There are a couple different ways to use this rig, but I have only tried one of them. I am hoping to tie the other two on this weekend. I have caught a lot of fish on a nymph to nymph dropper. I generally use a bead head Prince Nymph followed by a smaller pheasant tail, scud, or egg pattern. This technique drawn a lot of strikes from bigger fish sitting in pools when the dry fly isn't working, or on sluggish fish during the winter. Another way to utilize the dropper method is tying a small nymph to a larger dry fly such as a stimulator. In this case the dry fly is used as an indicator plus can still attract potential strikes... I plan on trying this out very soon! Then lastly is a technique that came up in the Western parts...the hopper dropper. This consist of tying a nymph off the hook of a hopper or terrestrial fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment