Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chauga....God Bless You??

A couple days ago I woke up and decided I would test out the water under the Cassidy Bridge on the Chauga River. There weren't to many trout to be seen, but i could see a couple stockers. I learned from my trip to New Zealand that nymphing is an important tool to a fly fisherman, so I am determined to learn the technique no matter how much frustration it may cause me. I started the morning using a prince nymph, I had a strike or two but I was trouble with setting the hook to late. I decided to change it up and tie an egg pattern behind my prince nymph, and finally I was able to land a 10 inch rainbow. I finally landed a fish, so it was time to move to a different, more comfortable technique. I moved to one of my favorite pattern #16 elk hair caddis (dry fly). I got a couple small rainbows, then i changed to old faithful, the grizzly woolly bugger. I landed a few more on this. As it started to warm up I decided to call it a day. I ended up catching 8 and releasing them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment